If you have missing teeth, it is crucial to have them replaced as soon as possible. This will improve the appearance of your smile and help restore the full functionality of your bite. If you fail to replace your missing teeth down the road, it can lead to a wide range of oral health issues. Hence it is much better to avoid these problems by selecting one of the tooth replacement options.
A dental bridge may be an apt solution if you have gaps between your teeth. It is a prosthetic tooth that can help bridge the gap between teeth by placing crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap called the abutment teeth, and a false tooth called a pontic is secured in between.
What are the various kinds of Bridges?
- Traditional Bridges: This is the most commonly used type of dental bridge. In this procedure, the crowns are secured on the abutment teeth, and an artificial tooth is placed in between the crowns. The artificial teeth are most often made of porcelain or ceramics that are fused to metal.
- Cantilever Bridges: These types of bridges are used when there is only one abutment tooth available. This type of dental bridge is not recommended for the back teeth as it can damage the other teeth.
- Maryland Bonded Bridges:In this method, the artificial tooth is glued to your abutment teeth by placing wings on both sides of the bridge.
What is the process involved in receiving a Dental Bridge?
The process for a bridge can be accomplished in two dental visits. In the initial visit, the abutment teeth will be shaped and prepared to make them ready for the dental crowns. After the teeth have been prepared for the crowns, a mold of the teeth will be taken to be used as a model for your dental bridge. A temporary bridge will be placed till a custom-made bridge is being readied.
Once the bridge has been fashioned and sent to the dental office, you will be required to have them fitted during the second appointment. During this visit, the temporary bridge will be removed, and the permanent one will be cemented into your mouth.
What are the advantages of Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges have several benefits for ideal candidates:
- A dental bridge helps reinstate the appearance of your smile.
- It is a long-lasting solution and, with proper care, can last for many years.
- With the dental bridges, the chewing capability is restored.
- The speech and pronunciation which had been affected by missing teeth are re-established with the help of a dental bridge.
- Prevent other teeth from drifting out of position. Teeth that have drifted are often harder to clean, putting them at higher risk for decay and gum disease.
Call Pacific Highway Dental at 253.529.9434 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Bridges.